How it all began..
The Foundation begins with our name.
Where does the name REHOBOTH (ree-HOE-buth) come from?
"And he removed from thence, and digged another well; and for that they strove not: and he called the name of it REHOBOTH; and he said, For now the LORD hath made room for us, and we shall be fruitful in the land." Genesis 26:22
The first services were held in a small church with one entrance and one window, located across the bridge or ditch at 765 North Street (now called Kuenzli Street).
The church building was wooden, with a basement made out of rock. Holy Temple initially rented the basement from another church that held services upstairs, but later moved to the upper portion of the building and eventually built a new edifice in Sept 2000.
At Rehoboth we believe in excellence by leading the way. We believe that God has called us to be a light in the world, and we take that call seriously. We strive to represent Jesus in everything we do, and to always give our best back to God.
We also believe that community is important. We were not meant to do life alone, and so we value relationships and connection. The church is a family where anyone can belong, and we believe that real life change happens in the context of meaningful relationships.
We honor those who have gone before us and look to the future with hope. We rally those around us to live their best life, believing that every generation has something to offer.
We are Presence-Driven, believing that the power of God is real and able to work through every believer. This power enables us to experience miracles, breakthroughs, and to walk out God’s purposes.
We see the greater, believing that no matter the circumstance, God’s plan is to do something greater. We welcome all people from all backgrounds to encounter the fullness of God’s promise for their life.
We are lifelong learners, always growing in our understanding of who Jesus is. We remain followers in a position to be led, allowing deeper truths to be revealed as we grow in our relationship with Jesus.
We are a generous people because God was generous with us first. We give out of worship and trust, knowing that God has blessed us. Everything we do is centered on our faith in Jesus, and we strive to share His message with the world.
Bishop Luther J. DuPree Jr. & Lady Jennifer DuPree
Meet Bishop & Lady DuPree
From 1949 to 1951, Bishop Cox appointed Pastor John Brown and Pastor Thompson (Elder Crosby’s brother-in-law), to oversee the church. In 1951, Bishop Cox appointed Elder E.N. Webb as pastor. Elder Webb served the church faithfully from 1951 to 1969. At the start of his ministry at the church, he had one deacon “Deacon Powell’ and one church mother “Mother Thompson”. It was through Elder Webb’s leadership and vision that the construction for the new edifice began. To meet the needs of the people and the community, in which Holy Temple served, Elder Webb, along with the help of Deacon Powell and others, dug the foundation for the new facility, a facility which hosted many District meeting and held the first State Youth Congress around 1955. Elder Webb served faithfully to the call of God and well carried out His commands. In 1969, upon the demise of Bishop Cox, Elder Webb was called for a greater work in the office of Bishop for the State of Nevada.
Upon his appointment, Bishop Webb moved to Las Vegas, Nevada, and Elder Leonard Pleasant was appointed pastor of Holy Temple and served faithfully for 10 years. He worked hard and under his leadership the feeding program was started and the mortgage for the church was paid. In 1979, due to health reasons, Elder Pleasant resigned as pastor and Bishop Webb appointed Elder Luther DuPree Jr. pastor of Holy Temple. Under his leadership, in 1988, the name “Rehoboth” was added to Holy Temple. “For now the Lord hath made room for us, and we shall be fruitful in the land” (Genesis 26:22). Rehoboth-Holy Temple was the first to sponsor a Women’s Convention and a Family & Friends Day program. The church has sponsored various feeding programs, and continues to supply food when called upon. The church assists in supplying clothing, and household furnishing to individuals in need. Rehoboth-Holy Temple continues to help the indigent or stranded get to their destination. The church is also involved in prison ministry, giving hope to those behind bars for their release back into society.
Kuenzli Street was the home site for Holy Temple for 33 years, but in 1984, because of growth and the lack of availability for parking, the building and property were sold. Since the move from 765 Kuenzli Street, Holy Temple has held services at 1875 Oddie Blvd, 3200 Sutro Street; 600 South Center Street, 385 Gentry Way, and the current worship facility 700C Smithridge Drive, Reno, Nevada. This location, since 1999, is the home which the Rehoboth Holy Temple family purchased. The goal of the church is to expand the facility while continuing to provide services within the community by touching hearts, changing lives and winning souls for Christ.